Product Designer - Soft goods
This position works with a design team in the development of non-apparel cut and sewn (bag) products. Ensuring that deadlines are met, the Product Designer must be able to conceptualize product concepts and communicate these into viable prototypes. The Product Designer will be working closely with Travelon Management and the China and U.S. product development teams.
Please note: this is not a sample or pattern maker position. Travelon will provide sample and pattern makers to implement this process. However, the Industrial Designer should have a good knowledge of production and sewing techniques to facilitate sample development and production.
- Research products, trends, colors and materials
- Initiate and interpret new product concepts to meet the needs of our customers
- Provide sketches, line art, design boards, and presentations to communicate design ideas
- Coordinate with the product management and design teams to refine concepts as needed and work within target product prices to assure most effective results
- Participate in design, product development reviews, Trade Shows and marketing meetings as needed
- Interact with China office, factories and product management teams to ensure timelines are met and consistent with customer specifications Other duties as assigned
This person interacts with overseas manufacturers and others as necessary.
- Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design or Creative Engineering
- 2 years product design experience, preferably within the soft-goods, luggage, handbag or bag business, preferred. Will consider new graduates.
- Ability to communicate product concepts verbally, and through written or sketched communications
- Must have a working knowledge of fabric construction, materials and hardware
- Must be able to translate closed-end design problems into product solutions
- Must have an understanding of off-shore sourcing and production facilities
- Ability to work effectively under timelines in a dynamic, fast paced and entrepreneurial environment
- Must be self-directed, organized with a strong attention to detail, but also have the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Must be able to work on multiple product lines (travel goods, handbags, sporting goods, business cases)
- Must possess outstanding communication, presentation and persuasion skills
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Must have advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite: Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, etc.
- Computer design experience with Solidworks or other CAD software experience a plus!
- Must possess a well-developed ability to read, write and speak English. Ability to speak Chinese a plus
- Must be able to travel internationally to Asia several times a year
- Ability to lift 50 pounds